Home » Blog posts

Blog posts

Read about a Teaching Scholarship Circle I co-led in January. 

TSC January 2020: Discussing The New Education: How to Revolutionize the University to Prepare Students for a World in Flux, by Cathy N. Davidson

In this year’s ACERT Teaching Scholarship Circle (TSC) we read and discussed Cathy N. Davidson’s book The New Education: How to Revolutionize the University to Prepare Students for a World in Flux. In her book, Davidson argues that university educators must substantially change how we teach in order to help our students succeed “in our age of precarious work and technological disruption.” Through our reading and discussion of her book, we analyzed and critiqued  her transformational vision for higher education in America, and drew lessons for how we support students at Hunter and how, in Davidson’s words, “we can educate students not only to survive but to thrive amid the challenges to come.”read more..

Here is a report about a seminar I organized and facilitated for ACERT at Hunter College, “Emotion, affect, and community building in the CUNY classroom” published on December 6, 2019.

Emotion, affect, and community building in the CUNY classroom

This seminar tried to bridge the gap between pedagogical practices at CUNY and the theory of emotions and affect. Sarah Benesch, Professor Emerita at the College of Staten Island, started off with a brainstorm activity, asking “what words do we associate with emotions?” Various replies gave her the opportunity to introduce the different approaches to emotions that are currently in fashion: universalistic, cognitive, and discursive – the one which she embraces. Her research focuses on the relationship between emotion and power and the teachers’ response to implicit or explicit regulations read more… 

I wrote this post at the end of my Open Education fellowship at the Graduate Center, CUNY, after teaching a zero-cost class on The Divine Comedy. The post was published on The Graduate Center Library website page on May 7, 2019.

Image credit: Joel Fernandez

This semester I am teaching Dante’s Divine Comedy in English in a writing intensive course at Hunter College. I am teaching the Comedy for the first time and for the first time I am using the CUNY Academic Commons platform to share information, material, assignments and feedback – that is, everything but grades.

Although writing is still a primary focus, using the website for the course made me shift my attention toward the visual. read more…

I wrote this post at the end of my fellowship at the Harry Ransom Center, at Austin University of Texas. The post was published on the Harry Ransom Center Magazine page on January 4, 2011.

Elizabeth Bowen. Unknown photographer, May 1953.

Stefania Porcelli of Libera Università- San Pio V in Rome, Italy, recently visited the Ransom Center on an Alfred A. and Blanche W. Knopf fellowship to research the Elizabeth Bowen collection. She shares some of her findings.

With the support of an Alfred A. and Blanche W. Knopf fellowship, I spent six weeks at the Harry Ransom Center this autumn, carrying out my project on Elizabeth Bowen’s attitude toward World War II and the language of propaganda, which also investigates her involvement in the “media ecology” of the time. read more…

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message